An art journal is a fun and creative way to express your emotions, practice your art skills and preserve your memories.
If you are struggling for ideas these journal prompts will help you to get started:
- An inspirational quote
- Favourite movie quote
- A catchy song lyric
- Something funny that you heard
- What you did today
- News headlines
- The happiest/worst moment of today
- What you are grateful for?
- A random moment
- Do you have a favourite childhood memory?
- Your biggest achievement
- Your best friend
- School memories
- Reflections on your growth
- Life lessons
- Travel – places, maps, food
- Your favourite recipe
- Television show/movie
- Favourite books – keep a list
- Fun activities
- Favourite person/people
- A lost loved one
- Your family members
- A Bible verse
- Write a poem
Add some creativity to your pages
Celebrate the new month, season or holiday by drawing or gluing the things that remind you of that season.
Journal your travels – save tickets, postcards and other inspiring things.
Words and lettering are eye-catching.
Pick a colour scheme or use a limited colour palette.
Drawing – there are no rules so doodle, draw and scribble your ideas and thoughts.
News & headlines can be good inspiration.
- Use pages of an old book or buy a cheap book and use it as the background on one of your pages.
- Use stamps, stickers and scrapbooking supplies to decorate your layout.
- Collage – cut up magazines, save interesting pictures, cut out words and letters and make a collage.
- Collect paint swatches from your local hardware store.
- Washi tape is a great way to decorate your page or as an adhesive for photographs and other bits and pieces.
- Use a label maker to print words for an old-school effect.
- A wax seal is a stylish way to add interest to your page.